Tuesday, July 10, 2007



Oh Preston.
Preston Elijah.
How silly you are.

As a little background - my nephew Preston has only been to my house once and probably doesn't remember it. Sometimes he asks me about where Uncle Josh and I live, and I tell him it's far away.

Fast forward to tonight - my mother in law (bless her) calls me as I am having dinner with my mom in Portland, MI (undeniably far away from my usual locale) and tells me that Preston wants to talk to me. Apparently while babysitting him tonight, they'd been sitting out on the front porch and he'd started listing off all the people he loves. Then he got to me "I love Aunt Laura" and decided he needed to give me a ring. Smart kid.

So he gets on the phone and is very, very insistent that I come over tonight to watch Shrek with him.

So I explain, "Oh honey, I'm sorry, I can't...I'm really far away right now and I can't come there tonight." To which he replies, "Well, when you're done at your house come over here and watch Shrek."

(This connection did not dawn on me until just a few minutes ago, mind you.)

Then I again explain that I am very, very far away and I by the time I got there, he would be in bed. He says (very earnestly), "No, I'm not going to bed yet." I hear some talking in the background, and he says, very matter-of-fact, "Grandma says I'm going to bed soon."

So apparently then I was told that I am going to come over tomorrow night to watch Shrek.

Preston will turn three later this month.
And his birthday is going to be orange. (Or so he keeps telling us.)

PS - What's the place where Shrek lives? Far Far Away? HMMMMMM...

No comments: