Saturday, February 04, 2006

Stuff!

A draft I found written 2/4/06...

One of the upsides to getting married? Being able to walk into your kitchen, clean and well-equipped with nice stuff. The feeling that you don't HAVE to have the microwave that you got for $5 at a garage sale if you don't want to. Being able to throw away the 50-cent spatulas you got at IKEA because they melted. Having a 10-button digital timer that you can JUST PUNCH THE TIME INTO instead of scrolling through a possible 90 minutes of cooking to get the time you need. Right now I'm making some brownies. I got to use a sweet mixing bowl, the nicest cake pan I've ever used before, and as I open my cupboards for things I am greeted by all sorts of things that are nicely coordinated - pasta bowls. Measuring cups. An oven mitt.

I just love it. This is a reflection of my own creative sensibilities, and I am so happy with the results. Maybe this is coming off as materialistic - I hope not. It's just so nice to MAKE a home according to your own preferences (and not the limitations of the selection at the dollar store or IKEA...though don't get me wrong, I love them both!), and to have a bunch of people rallying around you wanting to help you with that. To help you make your own comfortable little corner of the world. Now I want to go make some cheesecakes just so that I can use my springform pans. Mmmm, delicious. If you want some dessert, you might have luck just stopping over here, because Laura's inspired!

Now, if only I could figure out where my trifle bowl was...

No comments: