Wednesday, August 01, 2007

MA-MA


Mommy Dearest turns 62 today. I'll bet you didn't know this about her...

10. When Mom was a kid, her little sister (Aunt Candy) gave all her dolls away to the neighbor girls. My mother still brings this up.

9. She can't whistle. I inherited this from her.

8. My mom smoked for several years in her 20s. She gave it up cold turkey as a wedding gift for my dad.

7. Mama Bear was born exactly two weeks before V-J Day, or the end of WWII in Japan.

6. My grandpa was not present for my mom's birth, as he was stationed in Kansas or someplace equally boring.

5. My mom makes the best snickerdoodles around. Just ask honorary Russell daughter Kym. My mom once drove to Kalamazoo on a weekday night to surprise me with a fresh batch of snickerdoodles. Kym was in on it. It was fabulous.

4. My mom has slowly turned into my grandmother over the past several years. The hallmark of this phenomenon is regular usage of the phrase, "Oh, for heaven's sake!" This is sometimes accompanied by collecting an entire wardrobe of Alfred Dunner apparel - my mom has not yet reached this pinnacle.


3. When I was a kid and my mom would take me shopping (always at JC Penney or Sears...ALWAYS), I never wanted to try on clothes. Mom's response was to say with cheesy enthusiasm, "Oh, come on. Just for fun." Don't ask me why, but it worked.


2. As a child I did not require much discipline - I feared Mom's disapproval a great deal. You'd never know to look at her that she could be so intimidating.


1. For a brief time we were able to share both clothes and shoes...until I got to fifth grade and became taller than her.


Happy Birthday, Mom! Love you!

3 comments:

KatieKate said...

I can't whistle either.

We shopped at Sears and Penney's too!!!

And that woman packs a u-haul just like I do. Love. Her.

madjeepgirl said...

what a great picture!! I love pictures of parents when they were how old we are now...

alfred dunner...so jcpenney...

you've been list crazy lately, and I think it's super fun :)

BoxcatAV said...

Um, would it be bad if I said I had an Alfred Dunner blazer in my lifetime. Very embarrasing at my age, I know. But it was yellow and I loved it!