Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Signing off (or TTFN in KateSpeak)


Well, friends, I must bid you adieu for awhile...not that I haven't done it before (and certainly much less ceremoniously and out of pure posting laziness)...but when challenged by Mars Hill, myself, God, and Diane (most notably Diane) what I would be giving up for Lent, I rolled the question over in my mind. As I asked myself, "What unhealthy thing needs to be less present in your life?" an answer quickly came to mind. (It was, incidentally, the same thing that Diane suggested...Diane, you are a prophet!) Could I do it? Could I give it up entirely? Do I ultimately want to change this part of my life? The answers were yes, no, and yes.

I am giving up the Information Superhighway for Lent.

(You know you love it, Anne. I love it too!)

Not entirely, though. I do need to use it for work, and there is critical information I get via e-mail (regarding bills, important social events, etc). I should mention here that a big reason that I want to do this is that I need to better develop my social life here in GR and I spend way too much time on cyber-socialization. And it's not good for me at. all. So if this is my goal, why would I want to risk missing out on movie nights, k-nitting parties, Law School Oscars Night Parties, and the like? Right. E-mail's not my problem.

MySpace is. Blogger is (even though I rarely post, I spend way too much time reading others' posts and checking back to see if there are any new posts). Facebook is. IKEA.com is. Random surfing for the purpose of random surfing is. Instant Messenger is. So these are the things I will be giving up. (Realize here that I am going out on a limb to admit my obscene nerdiness...)

I can do e-mail, I can do work for my job, I can read some news as long as I don't spend too much time on it. I can shop if there is something that I need to buy and I know I can buy it at a particular website.

But that's it. No more.

I am praying that my Lenten journey brings me better time management, more time actually interacting with people in person, and more time for spiritual matters. Oh, and maybe I'll actually get off my duff and go work out.

AND, in a funny (and Diane-esque) turn of events, my computer decided to crash on Saturday. I mean crashed. Windows has gone belly-up. Gotta call the IT guy to come nurse it back to health and *hopefully* I won't lose all my music, photos, and all the papers I've written since my freshman year of college. Seriously, if that wasn't a sign, what is?

So I won't be leaving you all witty comments for awhile. (For that I am truly sorry, for I am a funny funny woman.) You can leave me comments if you like, as I will be able to moderate them from my e-mail, but I won't be responding. If you want to communicado con yo, e-mail me. (laura[dot]mikrut[at]gmail[dot]com)...or you can call me and say, "Hey Laura, in honor of your boycott of the internet, let's go to the arcade and play some Pong." (Seriously...I would do it. I'm not above Pong.) You all know my number.

So I will be seeing you on Easter Sunday...or mabye after that. I might be perfectly happy to stay off the grid by that point.

PS - I'm also giving up pop. It's not good for ya, yo. But I'm not giving up WHAM! (That one's just for you, Kate.)

3 comments:

diane said...

I am so proud of you, Laura! And I feel famous too...

I hope you keep a journal of what you learn during this time away form your 'puter.

Hope to see you tonight at the service!

KatieKate said...

LET'S GO PLAY PONG!!!

rudi said...

You giving up the Internet but saying that you can use it to check email, use it at work, and CHECK NEWS is like me saying that I will give up chocolate but have a hot cocoa, but only if it is really cold outside!

IT IS ALL OR NOTHING!

But since you can't read my comment for quite a while, I won't be expecting a rebuttal.