Saturday, December 31, 2005

Do you want to come to our wedding?

See, this method seems so much easier. In the age of socially acceptable mass e-mails, I am trying to understand why I have spent the better part of the last 60 hours addressing envelopes, hand-feeding card stock into my printer for inserts, and stuffing/stamping/licking said envelopes.

The guest list is another fine point in this adventure. I told Josh we should just concede and invite the entire Eastern Bloc. And maybe Bangladesh. (It should be noted that I made the Bangladesh suggestion under my breath while he was on the phone with his aunt, gathering addresses (and, consequently, more "must-invite" names). Following this comment I threw a kitchen sponge at the counter.)

The invitation process isn't all bad, though. Mom, Grandma, Anne, and Marnee came over to help, bless their hearts. I have even made some new friends in the process:








My Aunt Candy got me this great little book for Christmas -
The Nearlywed Handbook: How to Survive the Happiest Day of Your Life by Dan Zevin. Now, there's lots of practical advice in this book, none of which is to be taken seriously, as it is written by a stand-up comic. Josh and Anne thought it was real advice and I'm still not sure they believe me when I say it's all just a big joke. Anyway, here is what Dan says about registering for gifts:
Typical Bride Response to Registering - "Matching dishes. We're definitely signing up for those cool blue plates from Crate & Barrel. And Polo bedsheets. Do you have any idea how sick I am of sleeping on that Holly Hobby pillowcase I've had since I used to wear a retainer? We're going to be married people! We're going to get a set of forks that don't have the ValuJet logo on them! And champagne glasses. Don't you love those tulip ones in the Domestications catalog? Hey, I just remembered! Williams Sonoma has that awesome KitchenAid Mixer-Master thing I've been wanting. Hmmm, I wonder what you do with one of those things..."
Typical Groom Response to Registering - "Home Depot is open till ten o'clock on Thursday nights."
Typical Couple Response to Registering - Most Nearly-weds resolve to register together at a mutually agreed-upon store, such as any store of the bride's choosing. This helps the groom learn his place in the wedding-planning process right off the bat.

Oh, between this book and watching "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", I've managed to stay somewhat sane :)

Happy New Year!

8 comments:

BoxcatAV said...

You forgot to say "Athlete" and "George" are your new friends. I know you captured the images but they would prefer to be recognized by name.

mr. chris said...

it is funny when you think about it. at least for our wedding, we spent all this time and money on these fancy wedding invites, sending them to people that normally see me in blue jeans and t-shirts, while eating pizza in my messy apartment.

it would have been more of a reflection of my personality if we would have written the wedding info on a napkin from Papa Johns !!!

oh by the way....AM I READING SOMETHING IN FEBRUARY!??!

rudi said...

that looks like a real nice printer/scanner/copier/faxer. i am jealous.

rudi said...

errin and i just registered for cool things, none of which really match or go together. thats what i recommend you do; get a bunch of cool things that don't match.
also, make sure to register for some tools. and im not just saying that cause its a 'guy' thing. i'm learning that they are expensive - even the basic ones, and you WILL NEED them!
a 42" DLP HDTV would be nice too, but don't expect that from us!
Hey, where is the BB&B gift card you told us about? we haven't gotten it yet!

Miss Laura said...

Chris -

You might be reading something in February. I can say with certainty, however, that you WILL be wearing a penguin suit and spectator shoes :)

Miss Laura said...

And Rudi -

I haven't ignored your advice about the tools. I did register for the laser level/stud finder but being the tool-lovin' girl that I am I realize that this is not enough. What do you recommend - Sears? Lowe's?

And yes, that's a fantastic multi printer machine. Although I exchanged some words with it last weekend - wasn't very cooperative with de cardstock. It was a replacement Epson sent me for free because the other one I got less than 9 months ago just suddenly up and died. Yaaaay Epson!

rudi said...

Well, I am not a handy man by any means (but I am getting there), but I like Craftsman hand tools (screwdrivers, wrenches, etc.), so I would go to Sears for things like that. On the other hand, if you are looking for power tools (drill, circular saw, sander, etc.) its a toss up. I don't own many of these, but depending on what exactly it is I would either go Dewalt or Craftsman - in this case you can go to either Lowe's or Sears.

Get at least the basic tools (screwdrivers, socket wrench, wrench, drill, pliers, etc.) because you will need them more than you think - TRUST ME. Good tools should not be overlooked - you will get frustrated if you have cheap tools when they strip/break on you when trying to use them (again, trust me!).

And last but not least - when you guys buy a house, subscribe to 'The Family Handyman' if neither you or Josh are very handy. It has helped me to do several 'little' projects around the house and has saved me hundreds of bucks since I did it myself (leaky toilet cost me $5 to fix where hiring a plumber would have cost $120ish, one told me so).

Miss Laura said...

Well, well, well...I have summadat already, but could probably stand to have some better stuff. I have a tool kit and a power drill that my dad got me at one of those traveling tool shows that set up in hotel ballrooms, the drill is doing fine but the screwdrivers aren't as durable as they could be. I also want a ratcheting screwdriver, my dad has one and it is AWESOME! I highly recommend such a device if you don't already have one. We could probably use a good socket set, good call.

As Tim the Tool Man Taylor would say - MORE POWER!

I love being a girl with tool skills.